Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Oscars

The Oscar nominations were released today. Looks like Benjamin Button is the big winner thus far with 13 nominations. The other nominations for Best Pic are Frost/Nixon, Milk, The Reader, and Slumdog Millionaire.

I saw one pretty good movie (Gran Torino) and one really good movie (The Wrestler) over the weekend. Clint Eastwood (directed and starred in Torino) is simply The Man. A real-life BAMF. Half of his lines in his newest movie are, literally, growls, but he's the one guy that could pull that off. Mickey Rourke, who is the wrestler in The Wrestler, is amazing, and he was rewarded with a nomination for Best Actor. His was the best movie I've seen this year.

I've been wanting to see Slumdog for quite a while but the girlfriend has been less than enthusiastic about joining me. Now that the nominations are out I think I can convince her to go with me. I guess I'll have to see Ben Button, too, now that it's so nomination-heavy. And The Reader too. Ah, the cultural conscience of an uppity white kid.

No comments: