Monday, July 28, 2008

The Big Move

After a couple weeks of annoying delays, we finally moved in to the new place on 7th Avenue on Saturday. My brother and Dad came up and we rented a moving van (we were also treated to the sight of a lady rear-ending a parked car) and hauled stuff back and forth until four or five in the afternoon.

I think the universal opinion about moving is that it sucks. It always takes longer than you think it will, and you always discover about a million tiny things that you forgot to pack in boxes and end up having to put in plastic bags or some other ill suited container. Even worse are the things too big to fit in boxes but too small to need more than one person to carry them. I hate having to waste a trip up and down the stairs to carry a lamp and a curtain rod. When it comes to moving (and everything else), I’m all about efficiency. I bet you the Germans are really good movers.

We rented the smallest van possible, thinking that we’d need only one trip, possibly two, to move everything. We needed three. There’s still a good bit of stuff left at the old place that we’ll need a car to move. I’m not looking forward to that.

The upside, though, is that our new place is totally awesome. There are three full bedrooms, each with at least one window. That is a significant upgrade from the old place. We also hope that the new apartment will be free of bugs. It got so bad in the old place that we found roaches living in the microwave. Evolutionary wonders, they are.

On Sunday, instead of moving I saw The Dark Knight, and like everyone else on the planet I thought it was awesome. It’s a shame that Heath Ledger died but like most other people I think it adds extra poignancy to the performance. He’ll probably win the Oscar. Though you never know with that group of whackos. I still shudder to think that Shakespeare in Love beat out Saving Private Ryan for best picture back in 1998 or 1999.

So now I’m nearly moved in and the next phase begins. My Dad and I spoke briefly about how this time around, one year into my NYC excursion, I feel as though I’m actually living the NYC “experience.” I have a great apartment, a job, a girlfriend, friends I really like. Things finally seem to be settling down, and as we all sat together at the bar across the street from the new apartment sipping on cold beer, I felt like I actually belonged here.

No comments: