Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Journalism

Everyone knows that the field of journalism is rapidly changing these days. Everyone also seems to agree that "old" media, like newspapers and print magazines, are going to die and that some as-yet-unknown "new media" platform will emerge triumphant. No one really knows what journalism will look like in the 21st century; just that it will look different than it has in the past.

That being the case, why would a timid 24 year old stuck in an entry-level job consider entering the field when everything is in flux? I don't know. I don't have a vision of what the journalism field should look like; conversely, I don't have a clear sense of how old media might yet be saved.

I'm envious of my peers who truly love their jobs, though if forced I could only name two or three who really do. What about the rest of us?

As a history and english major I've always been fascinated by two things: writing and facts. A straight-up history degree provides plenty of both but I imagine it could easily become too stifling. An english degree...well, there aren't enough facts.

In my fantasy world, journalism provides both writing and facts. In addition, it provides constantly evolving challenges. As a history person, you're dealing with events that have already finished. As a journalist, you're dealing with events that are constantly evolving. In my mind, the latter seems more exciting than the former. Plus, I think switching from journalism to history would be easier than the opposite route. Robert Caro, author of the Lyndon Johnson biographies I like so much, started out as a journalist.

But are all these tiny reasons reason enough for me to really pursue journalism as a career? I have basically no experience. I have few friends in the field. And the more well-established people I've spoken to usually say something like "well...things are different now than they were when I was coming up." Would I be a good journalist?

What next?

1 comment:

MarkRoderick said...

I have no idea what journalism will look like in five or 25 years. I think that eventually people will be willing to pay for accurate information about the world, but how that plays out and when, who knows?

I do know that you would be an excellent journalist. You have an extremely keen eye and are a great listener: what you call "timid" is also a desire to hear all sides of the story without super-imposing your own ego. You have a keen interest in ferreting out the truth and are very interested in current events of all kinds.

Of course, you would also make a great history professor, for many of the same reasons.

A joint degree in journalism and history?