Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The LSAT is HARD

I took a diagnostic LSAT test last night at Kaplan's East Village center, and was disappointed to find out that the LSAT is a totally different animal than the GRE.

The GRE is basically just the SAT moved up a couple notches. The designers aren't really trying to trick you. They just put out certain levels of straightforward questions and see if you can answer them. Very vocab-heavy, the math stuff is high schoolish (but still impossible for me), and the reading comp. isn't TOO bad.

But the LSAT diagnostic test basically kicked my ass. It didn't help that the test didn't start till 6 30 on a Monday. Even so, the test was HARD. Probably one of the hardest tests I've taken. The questions weren't straightforward, and neither were the answer choices. Everything about the thing was made to trick you. I walked out of the place at 10 totally exhausted.

As my dad, himself a lawyer, eloquently put it: "I remember thinking the LSAT was dumb when I took it. I was certain (and still am) that they had some of the answers wrong themselves. I detested by standardized testing people. A bunch of arrogant idiots sitting up in Princeton, thinking they're smarter than everybody else."

I agree with him. At times last night I just wanted to rip up the practice test and throw it away and walk out. The questions and answers were just so obviously silly and irrelevent and needlessly pointy-headed, if you know what I mean. It made me mad, but it was also sort of intimidating. Maybe that's why I was mad - because it was so hard. Though then again, maybe I should wait to see my score before I continue my rant.

1 comment:

David said...

I remember my law teacher in high school gave us some questions from the LSAT. I actually enjoyed doing them and got most of them right, but then realized that I had used about 10x the amount of time allotted on the real test. They certainly were not easy and if I had to do them in the real amount of time it would have been mentally exhausting.